Skip to content

Crown drops $28K ticket issued under N.S. ‘woods ban’

A $28,872.50 ticket issued under Nova Scotia’s now‑invalidated “woods ban” has been withdrawn, according to the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms.

The organization said the Crown ended enforcement proceedings against Jeffrey Evely, who had been scheduled to appear in Nova Scotia Provincial Court on July 22.

Lawyers funded by the Justice Centre said they had planned to argue how a previous Supreme Court ruling affected the case and whether the province could continue pursuing penalties tied to a proclamation the Court had already struck down.

Evely was the first person charged under the province‑wide prohibition on entering wooded areas during wildfire season.

The Justice Centre said the ticket was issued under the 2025 ban and carried a penalty of $28,872.50.

Earlier this year, the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia ruled in Evely’s favour on his constitutional challenge.

The Court found that the government acted unreasonably by failing to meaningfully consider Charter rights before imposing the restrictions, and concluded that the measure engaged protected freedoms, including mobility rights.

“This outcome confirms what should have been clear after the Supreme Court’s ruling: governments cannot continue enforcing penalties that arise from unconstitutional state action,” Moore said in the release.

Moore said Evely’s case highlighted the importance of ensuring emergency measures remain within constitutional limits, and he welcomed the province’s decision to close the matter.

“Rights need to be asserted. That has always been the case. We have a sacred, civic duty to safeguard our inheritance for future generations,” Evely said.

  • Alex Allan is an award-winning multimedia journalist and graduate of Fanshawe College's Journalism Broadcasting and Digital Communication Management programs. He is based in Saint John and covers stories across New Brunswick. Contact Alex at allana@radioabl.ca.

    View all posts

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to NSNews@radioabl.ca.

What’s Trending