Skip to content

Mooseland Road wildfire continues to be held

The Department of Natural Resources says there has been no change to the Mooseland Road wildfire since Wednesday.

As of 11 a.m., the fire remains listed as being held at an estimated 1,447 hectares.

Wildfire suppression work is paused Thursday because of safety concerns for the crew, but staff continue to monitor conditions around the clock.

Nova Scotia’s Minister of Natural Resources Tory Rushton says the significant rainfall received this week has helped reduce the fire’s intensity.

“We’ve had some good weather. The major fire that we’ve had this year is being held. There’s a lot of hard work [going into that] over the last week. We’re still mid-summer [and] planning for a full fire season,” stated Rushton.

He explained the burn size being reported is the total area that’s been impacted as the fire scene since there will be hot spots that pop up until there is full confidence that those hot spots are extinguished.

“Things can dry up pretty quick in Nova Scotia. We’ve seen that over the last few years, but we’ll take the rain where we can get it, and this has been a good few days for fire index,” Rushton expressed.

The wildfire broke out last week Wednesday forcing more than a hundred people from their homes for a few days.

For the latest information, you can visit this website.

  • Jessica Laing is a news reporter for Acadia Broadcasting who graduated from the journalism program at Humber College (now known as Humber Polytechnic). She is based in the Port Hawkesbury area of Nova Scotia and is an award-winning photographer. Contact Jessica at LaingJ@radioabl.ca.

    View all posts

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to NSNews@radioabl.ca.

What’s Trending